Client: Tata Motors is a part of Tata Group, one of India's largest conglomerate founded in 1868. Our engagement was with the passenger vehicle segment of Tata Motors which over the years has accquired auto brands like Daewoo and Jaguar Land Rover.
Brief: Tata Motors was to sign Lionel Messi as the brand ambassador (A first for Indian Automobile Campaign) and wanted to launch its much anticipated, Tiago (earlier known as Zica). The single line brief was to make sure that we create positive buzz around the developments and elevate the brand image as especially for the younger generation. We were mandated to handle the Influencer Outreach for the campaign.
Tiago was the third major car launch for Tata Motors since the second half of 2015 in the small car segment. The challenge was to create a distinct identity and yet relatable as Tata Motors' brand.
Twitter being the medium of opinion makers and influencers along with the auto portals, the idea was to make splash by highlighting each marketing initiative.
Once we zeroed on Twitter as primary platform for the campaign, we began indentifing influencers basis two requirements:
1. Either they were popular with the young audiences:
2. Or they were experts in the auto sector
Multiple intitaives were run to cover major offline marketing activities besides carrying out content seeding and major annoucements. Along with celebreties (Sourabh Pant, Karan Talwar, Sahil Shah, Kunal Rao, Amogh Ranadive, Azeem Banatwala Sapan Varma etc), web influencers (Van Diablo, Gabbbar Singh etc) and micro influencers were engagaed in the campaign.
Some listed below:
• Teaser Campaign: Asking audiences to share what #madeofgreat means to them.
• Messi Annoucement: The most important leg of the campaign, we ran a two day activity.
• Welcome Messi: Twitterati putting out their own ways of welcoming the global sportsperson.
• Trucaller Exercise: As a part of offline marketing, amongst the calls that were made by Messi in partnership with Trucaller, some of the influencers were included in the initiative with them putting out the screenshots them.
• SMW: Tata Motors was the primary sponsor with #madeofgreat being the primary theme
• Zica Launch: The launch of the car Messi was signed up with
• Auto Expo: Coverage of Tata Motors pavillion at the Feb'16 auto expo
• Car Rename: The Tiago was renamed (due to reservations around the Zica name) with suggestions sought from audiences | #Fantastico
• Was India's largest Influencer Outreach Program then
• Highest brand mentions for in the sector for the entire duration on Twitter
• More than 15 India trends for the brand led hashtags
• Was leading Economic Times' Brand Equity Index for the hashtag #madeofgreat and the brand handle: Topped ET Brand Equity’s Index
• Engaged More than 100 Twitter Influencers including celebrities, verified handles and micro influencers etc.
• Got covered in multiple marketing trade portals